Applications Systems Engineer - Engineer Systems 2
Requisition ID: 11011746
Business Sector: Information Systems
Location: United States-New York-Brooklyn
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: No relocation assistance available
Clearance Type: None
Number of Openings: 1
Shift: 1st Shift
Join the Northrop Grumman Information Systems team of men and women that solve some of the world’s most complex technical challenges. We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer for our New York City Wireless Network (NYCWiN) project, a secure, private UMTS broadband wireless network in use by the City’s emergency response, public safety, and public service agencies. The selected candidate would be part of the NYCWiN Applications Support team, responsible for integrating and maintaining the client devices, services and web applications that run on the network.
This position requires troubleshooting and resolution of production issues, integrating and testing 3rd party hardware and software, deploying updates to existing applications, and developing solutions for unique technical challenges. Candidate will be working in a team environment and interface with interdisciplinary engineering teams as well as the customer and
user communities. If you are a creative problem solver, fast learner, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, this position may be right for you.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the installation, testing, operation, maintenance, and repair of NYCWiN application services and devices
- Develop automated tools for monitoring application services, application health checks and standard troubleshooting tasks
- Debug application software and perform data analysis
- Perform operations and maintenance tasks including writing RCAs, RMAs, configuration and version control, application performance analysis
- Develop and execute detailed test procedures
- Build upon existing applications knowledge base
- Provide 24x7 on-call support for applications on a rotating basis
- Provide technical inputs and support information/requirements gathering activities for new application solutions
- Strong analytical as well as verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Candidate must possess practical working knowledge of broadband wireless data application integration and apply a balance of both hardware and software engineering skills.
- Experience with a subset of the following will be required for development of automation tools and debug efforts: .NET, ASP, VB, and C.
- Background in wireless systems or networking technologies
- Minimum 2 years experience in software development using OOP
- Experienced in .NET, VB and/or ASP language
- Experience with relational databases
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Must demonstrate good leadership skills
- Respond to any additional needs from NG management.
- Must be willing to travel to customer sites within the 5 boroughs when required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- MS or BS degree (Computer Engineering or Computer Science preferred)
- MS or BS in the following areas with demonstrated software development experience/coursework may also apply: Information Systems/Security/Technology, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Mathematics
- Understanding of GPS technology, client/server applications
- Knowledge of basic Linux scripting and writing SQL queries
- Experience with Windows 2003/2008 server
- Must demonstrate interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to analyze and identify patterns quickly
- Balance of analytic and intuitive decision making
- Capable of meeting demands in a stressful environment
- Excellent customer support skills
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of TCP/IP family of protocols
- An understanding of public safety concepts of operations
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 75,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
To apply, please visit the Northrop Grumman careers site at: